Reporting to the Executive Director of the Fernie Chamber of Commerce, the Elk Valley Economic Recovery Advisor is a full-time position for a 12-month contract based in Fernie, B.C. The Recovery Advisor will work with regional businesses and economic development stakeholders to look at opportunities for business retention and expansion in the Elk Valley, carry out market research, and drive the development of reports and community profiles for investment attraction. The position’s work will be guided and evaluated in consultation with the Elk Valley Economic Initiative – a regional partnership focused on economic development in the region.
The Recovery Advisor will be able to quickly learn and engage with the economic development landscape of the Elk Valley by familiarizing themselves with local reports, plans, and organizations operating in the area. The position will regularly interact with local business leaders, elected officials, and other stakeholders in a professional manner to gain insights into challenges/opportunities and will refer businesses to existing support programs to help them recover from the pandemic.
A repeatable research methodology will be developed by the Recovery Advisor to conduct business retention & expansion surveys, as well as market research targeting metrics like cost of doing business data (average lease rates, average wages, etc.) that will inform action plans for the Elk Valley’s economic recovery. This data will also be used to create investment profiles for the Elk Valley corridor and individual communities within it. A clearly structured workplan with defined deliverables and timelines will be used to track progress and performance over the one-year contract.
- Very strong communications skills (both written and verbal)
- Professional, outgoing, empathetic, and positive attitude
- The ideal candidate will have demonstrated previous experience and education in economic development work, community building, research projects, consulting work, business management, or another related field
- Drivers license and reliable vehicle for travel between the Elk Valley communities of Elkford, Sparwood and Fernie – work-related travel expenses will be covered
- Strong command of Microsoft Office suite of applications – laptop, email and office all provided
Job status: Full-time (40 hours per week) for a 12-month contract
Salary: $47,000 – $53,000 per year
Start Date: June 2021
Applications close: Friday 14 May at 5pm Mountain Time
The Fernie Chamber of Commerce is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
102 Commerce Rd, Fernie , V0B1M5
$47,000 - $53,000 per year